Friday, February 2, 2007

Stalin's Keys to Victory by Walter Dunn

I was a little skeptical when I purchased this book, costing 50 dollars and being less than 200 pages I was sure I wouldn't get my moneys worth. In the end I was somewhat surprised as well as disappointed, this is not for the layman and contains detailed tables and charts about the Rifle divisions that were lost in the first few years of the war and when their numbers were abolished and at the same time Rifle divisions, brigades, and tank brigades that were created throughout the same period.

In that essence it's quite a treasure, also listed are where the divisions were raised, how long some of them trained, and where they were sent to at the front. My biggest complaint, and why I gave this book 4 stars, is that the author does not footnote or endnote any of the information and also says in the preface that he hasn't listed all the books he's consulted! Which I was very disappointed to see.

Overall if you want to see the details listed above this is a worthwhile investment, although small typos and mistakes are evident, January 1942 when 1943 is meant, Z.K. Zhukov when it is really G.K. Zhukov are two of the mistakes I saw.

No comments:

Google